Hilltowns Brewing is dedicated to creative, innovative rural development. We run a small brewery and taproom in Rensselaerville, NY and we advance the work of the Carey Institute’s Sustainable Communities program.
As a Farm Brewery, we use 100% hops and grain in all our beers. We work with farmers and malt houses locally and across New York State to source ingredients. Our beers change regularly, and many feature raw, unmalted grain purchased directly from area farmers.
Our brewery at the Carey Institute does not have regular public hours. To try our beers, visit us at our public taproom.
We also open our brewery to anyone interested in gaining hands-on experience in small-scale craft beverage production. View Workshops below to learn how you can participate.
We are not open for take-away sales at this time.
Visit us! Buy a beer and support our work.
As of July 1, 2020: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the continued temporary closure of the Carey Institute (our host organization) we are still not open for take-away or on-site sales.
Our public taproom is located at 26 County Route 353, Rensselaerville, NY 12147 in historic Rensselaerville, New York. Kuhar Family Farm Market & Café is next door. The E.N. Huyck Preserve trail system and main office are steps away from our parking lot.
We are currently closed.
Sunday (May through October only) 1-5PM
We carry a selection of NYS beer, cider, wine, spirits, and non-alcoholic beverages:
- Nine Pin Cider, Scrumpy Ewe Cider, Indian Ladder Farms Cidery & Brewery, Good Nature Brewing Co.
- Thousand Island Winery, Millbrook Winery, Hudson-Chatham Winery
- 1857 Spirits, Harvest Spirits, Finger Lakes Distilling, KyMar Farm Distillery
- Saranac Sodas and soft drinks
- Guest beers and ciders on tap change regularly
Beers, ciders, wines and spirits also available by the can/bottle to go.
- Light bar snacks include chips, pizza by-the-slice, grilled cheese, pita & hummus.
- Customers are welcome to bring their own food.
- On Wednesday evenings, food is available from Kuhar Family Farm Market & Café (next door to the taproom). Local take-out also available from The Shell Inn, The Yellow Deli and P&L Deli.
- Local honey, coffee, maple syrup and other products also for sale
We regularly host special events open to the public including live music, agritourism events, and Carey On Tap, where you can learn more about the work of the Carey Institute. To receive information about upcoming events follow us on Facebook, visit our events calendar, join our e-mail list or stop in the taproom.
Hilltowns Brewing started as a Sustainable Communities project in 2012 to explore opportunities for craft beverage production in our rural community. What unfolded was a multi-year effort to help build a statewide supply chain connecting New York farmers to New York brewers and distillers.
Today we continue to offer opportunities for hands-on learning and experimentation in all aspects of our small-scale operation.